Sunday 22 January 2012

A week in my wardrobe/the one-week challenge

The one-week challenge was a roaring success, with many a forgotten item finally seeing the light of day and me putting a lot more thought into my ensemble in the mornings. Personally, although I loved all of the outfits, the final one was my favourite. I’ve been waiting for the right occasion to wear my orange pleated skirt from River Island, which I got in the sale just after Christmas and, due to the challenge, I decided Friday was just that occasion. Sure, I had nothing special planned but life’s too short to save things for best. My least favourite outfit was Mondays. It seemed like such a good idea in my head but something just wasn’t quite right and, although I love my hair in this pic, the overall look was a little lacklustre.



Saturday: The Boy and I went for a wander on Saturday around Fulham and over the bridge to Putney to go to the library (one of my favourite things to do). This called for comfort so I paired my knee high black boots with denim shorts and a t-shirt from Obey that I got in a sample sale. The top has a really nice nautical anchor print and I’m looking forward to wearing it on it’s own in the summer.

Sunday: On Sunday The Boy got it into his head that it would be a good idea to walk all the way from West Kensington to Camden Town, and due to the 16lbs in 16 weeks challenge, I went along for the ride. The weather was sunny but cold so I used this as a chance to wear my new red and white oversized knitted jumper from Next. I also wore my fedora, which probably wasn’t the best choice of headwear as I found out when we were in Hyde Park when I realised just how windy it was.

Monday: Mondays at work mean an early start to prepare for trade, so for me, leaving the house before 7am, Mondays ensemble has to be about comfort. I paired some wide leg jeans with a favourite spotty top from Autograph at Marks and Spencer, finishing the outfit off with a pure wool navy cardigan that I got at the Sue Ryder sale for 50p and had never worn before. This outfit was pretty disastrous due to the cardigan making the top go really static and me feeling fat in the photograph, but still I love all the items individually and will definitely wear the cardi again.



Tuesday: My outfit on Tuesday was more of a success. I debuted a purple and black leopard print knitted skirt (another Sue Ryder 50p purchase) that my mum has taken in for me at the sides to make it more fitted. I wore this with a black jumper, leather jacket and my new favourite lace-up boots from Next (another Boxing day sale purchase). I also wore my massive knitted snood that I made myself and is fast becoming a wardrobe staple for me (as you can see from these photographs!).

Wednesday: A red Primark dress that I’ve had for years made an appearance on Wednesday underneath a black round neck jumper. This dress looks great on and I’m really not sure why I haven’t worn it before, it’s really comfortable and I’m looking forward to wearing it on it’s own in the summer.

Thursday: Thursdays unworn item was another sample sale purchase in the form of this aubergine coloured long belted cardigan from Hobbs. I teamed this with leggings, knee high boots and my favourite leopard print scarf. This outfit was really comfy and although I don’t normally go for the whole long top-leggings combo I think this outfit was one of the best of the week.

Friday: The final day of the working week saw me wear my new pleated skirt with a black top and cardigan. I loved this outfit; it was comfortable and was still smart enough for work (even if Friday morning was spent working in a branch of John Lewis. Don’t ask). I like teaming a long skirt with a short jacket (I do this a lot in summer with maxi’s and my denim jacket) and I definitely want to experiment with this look more for the winter weather.



So, what have I learnt. For one, I think it’s pretty interesting that all of the new things I wore were either coloured or patterned. I seem to always gravitate towards black or denim (either because it’s easier or because I’m lazy, maybe a bit of both) yet I still buy colourful pieces. I certainly need to reconsider colour in my everyday outfits (as I obviously have enough of it in my wardrobe). I hope to carry on the challenge in some way or another and make my outfits a bit less predictable in the coming weeks, I also have a colour challenge planned so watch this space.

The one week challenge: something new everyday = DONE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...