Saturday 7 January 2012

The No Shopping Pledge: the rules

So, after a particularly horrifying evening of checking my bank balance and updating my budget 2012 spreadsheet it has become abundantly clear how hideously poor I actually am and what a terrifying amount I spend on what is essentially meaningless crap. This week for example, one lunchtime I returned from Boots having spent more than £25 when all I went in for was shampoo; something has to change. This has led me to come to a somewhat momentous decision: I shall not make ANY unnecessary purchases between now and Easter. There, I've said it, and I suppose because I've said it on here there's no going back. There will of course be some rules (I can't go cold turkey, no shopping at all would probably kill me):

Rule 1. I am not to make any unnecessary purchases, i.e.; popping to the shops for some retail therapy on my lunch break and coming back with a skirt, a top and a coat when all I went out for was a secret Santa gift. Basically, the high street is off limits.

Rule 2. Necessary purchases are allowed, i.e.; if I run out of shampoo I am allowed to buy more, but I am not to come back with shampoo, a new hairbrush, foundation and various colours of nail varnish. I am not to get sucked in by any deals or offers, foolishly thinking that by spending money I am actually saving money.

Rule 3. If I am at a carboot sale, sample sale or in a charity shop and see something I can justify buying then I am allowed to make a purchase, as long as the price is reasonable. The Boy will have final say on if I'm allowed said item, but basically this is my get out clause. This will hopefully stop me from feeling like I'm missing out and should encourage me to be a bit more creative with my look.

The reasons for doing this are numerous but one being that The Boy and I would like to buy our own place (preferably before we're sixty) and want to add as many additional funds to the house deposit pot this year as possible. In addition we're going to New York in the autumn and, let's face it, why would I buy clothes here when I could buy clothes there?

Expect updates on how I'm getting on with the No Shopping pledge in the weeks to come (lord help me).

1 comment:

  1. I am trying to be more careful with money this year. I like how you've been very specific with your rules, it should help you stay on track. I hope you save a fortune :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...