Friday 27 January 2012

The No Shopping Pledge: an update

So far, the no shopping pledge has been going pretty well. Not only have I not set foot on the high street but I have got pretty creative with the clothes I already own. I’ve still made some purchases but these have been much more considered and all from charity shops (look at me, fuelling my shopping habits whilst giving something back, I feel almost angelic). I hit the jackpot last weekend at the Traid charity shop in Hammersmith, who were having one of their infamous £2 sales (where everything in the shop is £2) and then I went back on another day and everything was £1! Literally: winning. Admittedly most of the things I bought were to sell on eBay but still, the shopping gave me a bit of a buzz. Some of the standout pieces I bought were a dress from Topshop (for me), numerous peter-pan collared tops from Topshop (to sell as alas they are too small), some great tweed blazers (keep/sell, I’m really not sure at the moment) and some fab knitwear pieces all for me. I did have to drag my purchases home in a black bin liner as no bags Traid had were big enough but the embarrassment was so worth it. Although I am kind of craving a trip to Primark, H&M and River Island to check out the new season stock, overall I’m not really thinking about shopping much. I may make some more purchases tomorrow however, when I hit the Hobbs Sample Sale at the Truman Brewery (which Rachel has already said is not to be missed).



After watching the collection launch DVD today I’m already craving basically all of the SS12 stock, so my bank balance is pretty much screwed for the next few months. It seems to be that because of my own indecisive nature my mind seems to work on a constant cycle of disappointment: when it's summer I long for winter, and when it's winter I long for summer. Therefore currently I'm wishing for lazy summer days drinking a glass of Pimms, wearing a maxi dress and flat sandals, when in reality I'm being blown to work through the drizzle and then boiling on the tube in a thick winter coat. Those of you who work in the world of fashion will well know that even though winter seems to have barely even kicked in spring/summer stock is already out in stores and my thoughts are turning to summer. The Hobbs press day way back in November gave a glimpse of what loveliness is to come, with each brand playing its own starring role in picking out the best of the new season trends. NW3 (my own personal fave) is sure to see my staff discount and wallet take a battering.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...