Monday 2 September 2013

A week off with my boy: a river walk to Richmond

Every now and then there comes a time when you really, really, need a week off work. A chance to recharge your batteries, get some clarity and spend some time with your nearest and dearest, and last week in the L&F household was just that.

The Boy and I booked the four days following the bank holiday weekend off work and decided to use the opportunity to spend some time in our city, doing all the things we don't do at the weekends because it's always too busy with tourists and Londoners alike.

We started the week with a long walk. 
Training for the half marathon is well under way and although I hadn't planned in any long runs I figured walking as much as we could each day was as good a training as any. So we woke up nice and early and set off along the river to Richmond. 

I particularly love the patch between Hammersmith and Chiswick, the houses are gorgeous, with views of the river and they make me dream of winning the lottery even more so than usual. The Boy and I often take a walk here at the weekend, it's especially pretty at Christmas time when the households decorate their doors with elaborate wreaths and mistletoe.
The walk is about five miles but is so pretty the distance seems to fly by as you go past so many beautiful sights.
The reason for coming to Richmond, aside from sightseeing, was that I wanted to take The Boy to Pig's Ears, a beer cellar, bar and restaurant stocking over 100 different beers from around the world.

We stopped for lunch, the triple pig burger for me (screw the diet, I'm on holiday), while The Boy went for sausage and mash. Both were delicious - we'll definitely be back to sample some more food (and beers) on our next trip down river.
We met up with our friend Andy and walked back towards Kew, where The Boy and I whiled away what was left of the afternoon exploring Kew Gardens in the sunshine.

The day was wonderful, although pretty exhausting and I collapsed into bed pleased with the 12 miles or so we'd walked over the course of the day. It was a great start to the week.
 To find out more about visiting Kew Gardens visit their website, here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...