Thursday 14 June 2012

I wish it was Sunday


I was feeling pretty low on Monday lunchtime (just the back to work blues, nothing to worry about) so went for a long walk to clear my head. The rain was pouring down (as usual) but I donned my Winter coat (that’s right, in June) and headed out to pound the pavements for an hour.
I needed to pop to M&S to buy some food for the week (I’ve not suddenly come into some money, it’s just that the M&S at Marble Arch is reduced food central, particularly on a Monday lunch time) so headed along Wigmore Street to avoid the crush of tourists near Marble Arch.
As I ambled along I remembered that my Dad had told me about* a Jubilee exhibition in the basement of Selfridges that was worth checking out so I popped in. I love Selfridges. I’d love to be able to spend my days ambling around the homewares section, indulging in my love of fashion, picking up some make up and grabbing some food to take home and devour. Sadly my budget is more Primarni and Asda (for now) so I scurried past all the temptations and headed for the Ultra Lounge on the lower ground floor.   
The exhibition is called The Big Britannica Exhibition and is based around seven fashion installations which take inspiration from three issues of Vogue magazine. Now, let me get this straight: I could have been in the V&A the exhibit was that well put together (curated by Judith Clark). I was only sorry that there were only seven installations, as I would have loved to while away the whole afternoon taking in more displays (rather than heading back to the office for some spreadsheet fun).
The Vogue issues the exhibit is based around were February 1951, 52 and 53 and were special issues entitled "Britannica", created to mark the time from the Festival of Britain up to the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II. The issues focused primarily on Britishness and celebrated the post-war style and culture, reimagining traditions and embracing new ideas.
Each of the seven models wears a recreated Vogue pattern, and the setting shows a 1950s women and what she would wear in different scenarios throughout a day. I love all of the designs (the 1950s New Look silhouette has always been a favourite of mine) and it was interesting to see how much these styles and shapes are still very much relevant in today's fashionable world.
If you're in London, and need a break from the general craziness of Oxford Street, I'd recommend checking out The Big Britannica Exhibition for a spot of culture alongside your retail therapy (and this won't touch your bank balance) - but hurry, the exhibit is only on until 24th June.
*nagged me about going to

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...