Sunday 12 January 2014

My London

Every Friday evening on my way home from work I normally try and pick up a copy of the Evening Standard magazine. 

As much as I love my newspaper every evening, a mag is a bit of a treat, especially now that I'm out of my routine of purchasing three magazines a week (at least), so settling in to my journey home with a glossy mag to devour really starts off the weekend right. Usually followed by a delicious home cooked meal and a night in front of the TV with The Boy.

One of my favourite weekly features is the My London interview on the back page, where celebrities and personalities answer a series of questions on what London means to them. 

Now, I'm no celebrity, but being called Lost & Found, a London Life, I'd love to tell you all about my favourite parts of my city.

Home is...
Fulham, where I reside in a wonderful red brick mansion block with The Boy. Close enough to central to walk home from work in the summer months or pop to the wonder that is Selfridges. Whilst being rural enough to spend the weekend wandering on Wimbledon common or sitting by the river at Hammersmith or Putney.
Where do you stay in London?
On the rare occasion I've needed to stay away from home, my hotel of choice would have to be Malmaison, a gem of a hotel tucked around the corner from the Barbican. Close to work and with many an offer on all year round.

Earliest London memory?
A day trip to the city with my best friend when we were still at school. We went with her Mum and Dad and did the usual tourist bits, London Eye, Canary Wharf, saw Grease at the theatre. But my lasting memory of this whole visit was the anticipation of going and the outfit planning I put in beforehand. And how much my new shoes inevitably rubbed when we eventually got there. So much so that I even had to buy some extra socks and change into them in the doorway of HMV. Classy.

Last play you saw?
I don't really remember the last play I saw, but the last musical was the Book of Mormon for The Boy's birthday. I was expecting to hate it but was pleasantly surprised and laughed my way through the entire thing.

Most romantic thing someone's done for you?
The Boy taking a day off work to run around London gathering up my favourite food, flowers and balloons to celebrate my birthday. Then dressing as the Tiger that came to tea from my favourite children's book.
That and taking me to Paris (I mean you Zsa Zsa).
Best place to let your hair down?
I'm a cheap date at heart and don't really buy into the whole door policy, guest list and too-cool-for-school places that exist a lot in London (this applies to restaurants as well as bars and clubs, if I can't make a reservation I really am over it). For me, you can't go wrong with grabbing the girls and heading to one of the Be At One venues, perfect for a half price cocktail and a spot of dancing round your handbag. For after work drinks and food Ozer on Regent St is also a firm fave.

First thing you do when you come to London?
On returning to town The Boy and I usually drag our suitcases through Kensington, stopping off at Best Mangal for a kebab (hands down, the best in London) before curling up in front of the TV.

Favourite shops?
The aforementioned Selfridges, the shop at the Tate Modern, Zara and Partridges, both on the Kings Road, Butlers on High St Kensington, the charity shops of Putney and Fulham (not Chelsea, too expensive) and the fruit and veg shops on North End Road.

Best meal?
Three courses at the Laughing Gravy in Southwark. Perfect on every level.
Best thing a London cabbie has said?
I don't get taxi's often, I have my Oyster card so why would you pay more, often just to sit in traffic?

Who do you call when you want to have fun?
Zsa Zsa, Bateson, R-Becs, Kimmy, Jade and AP. The laughs, the dancing, the lot.

Best place for a nightcap?
The Cumberland Arms, not only for the Ales on offer but also the resident cat who loves a cuddle at the end of the evening.

Building you'd like to be locked in overnight?
Generally I don't like being inside places after they've closed (it makes me feel nervous) but maybe one of the big museums or galleries that I normally avoid at the weekends due to the number of tourists crowding the corridors.

Best place for a first date?
Aqua at the Shard followed by a wander round Borough Market. There's so much to look at in both locations that there wouldn't be time for any awkwardness.

What would you do as mayor for the day?
Make the tube and London buses free of charge, make the tube run all night and pedestrianise Oxford and Regent St.

Building you'd like to buy?
One of the older style properties about half way down Park Lane that need some tlc. I'd love to see what they're like inside and restore them to their former glory, whilst giving them a modern twist. I also love the style of the Artists Residences on Talgarth Road but the busy area has really ruined the character of these properties.

What are you listening to at the moment?
The sweet sound of silence (but on my iPod currently is Haim, Ed Sheeran, Of Monsters and Men, and the Delays).

What's your biggest extravagance?
Fashion, magazines and double berry muffins from Pret. There really is no other muffin like it, they are my downfall.
Animal you'd like to be?
Probably a cat, because, as everyone knows, I love a nap.

Best piece of advice?
I've spoken about advice here on the blog before but I guess one piece that I'm loving lately would have to be Stop wishing, start doing. The whole reason I met my fiancée was because I made the leap and pushed myself outside of my comfort zone. That decision alone has majorly changed my life for the better.
At the moment you are...
Spending a lazy Sunday in bed with a stinking cold whilst The Boy is out at the cinema.

Who's your hero?
My Dad.

What do you collect?
It would probably be better to ask what I don't collect. Currently it's unusual coins, brass owls, books, vintage cocktail glasses, puzzles, and prints for the new house. The list is endless.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...