Sunday 15 July 2012

If we took a holiday


Last week saw the entire Davies clan  (plus an Andrews) up sticks and head to France for the wedding of my cousin Rebecca and The Boy's longtime friend Robert.  

Those who know me well will know that had I not been going on this holiday, it is likely I would have suffered some sort of mental breakdown due to general work/life stress. Put simply: this trip came not a moment too soon.
The stormy seas - Heart shaped cheese - The taste of things to come - Messing around 

The day of travel dawned grey and dreary, with the five o'clock alarm coming (in my opinion) far too soon. Father was doing his usual pre-travel panic (which goes something like: the bags aren't going to fit/are the windows shut/is everything turned off/Laura have you turned off all the taps, and so on) but miraculously we still managed to make it to the port by 6.15am-where the Chichester contingent were waiting. Grandad and Anne had been up for hours, chomping at the bit to get the journey underway and were already sipping cups of tea on the ferry with Howard and Karen when we arrived. 

The Boy needless to say was disappointed that the catamaran was not a full scale ferry and there was little to keep him entertained (but he perked up when they put Scooby Doo on the tv and my Dad bought a pile of newspapers). I meanwhile was happily eating a ham and cheese sandwich (the breakfast of champions), reading the colour supplement and listening to the Rock of Ages soundtrack that I had downloaded especially (The Boy was so pleased). Things took a turn moments after leaving the harbor when the captain announced that the sea was likely to be "moderate to rough". Excellent. A few minutes later the ham and cheese sandwich made a reappearance and it's safe to say I did not feel good. Luckily for me (and everyone else involved) the weather calmed down a couple of hours into the crossing and I was able to comfortably resume my napping position ahead of our three hour car journey. 

In my opinion, a family holiday would not be complete without an arduous trip crammed into the  back of my dads car whilst trying to establish the correct route using a map published before I was born and, luckily for me (and The Boy) there was plenty such journeys during this one week break. There was only one medium (to major) paddy when The Boy proceeded to pretty much throw the satnav at the windscreen all the while screeching "if we've got a working satnav why don't we use it?!?" at anyone within earshot. I suspect this tantrum had more to do with there not being enough space for us in the "kids" car if I'm totally honest.

We did so much over the week that there's far too much for one blog post so I've got many more lined up featuring some of the things we got up to whilst we were away, but for now here's some of my favourite pictures from the trip to keep you amused.
 The Super Seven Go Canoeing - French streets - Villandry - The Boy and I - Meg the dog - Mark and Megan lead the way - Meat salad - Boule, the evening sport of choice


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...