Wednesday 30 November 2011

A weekend away


There really is no greater feeling than that of having days off when you would usually be at work. I love my job. Having worked so many awful jobs in the past and with so many people out of work these days I truly appreciate how lucky I am to be working in the fashion industry, which has always been my dream, but come on, a long weekend is always a welcome break from the daily grind.

Wednesday evening saw The Boy and I hitting the road and heading south to the Davies family home for a few days. My Masters graduation ceremony had finally arrived after eleven months of waiting and this could only mean overindulgence of food and drink at home with my favourite people. The coach arrived into Fareham at about 9 leaving plenty of time for a delicious supper made by Mother Davies and the watching of many old videos of me singing with my band (believe me, not my first choice for the evenings viewing). This blast from the past has led me to realise two things:one, my hair seems to have not grown in about five years and somehow I need to find a way to get it that long again, and two, I really did used to be tiny, like a size 6 or something. When did that happen? I have literally no recollection of this period of time although I was clearly that size for a while (I've always thought I was fat). Still, I'm far happier with my body now than I have been in years (something to do with the love of an amazing man and eating a lot of vegetables) and this meant that Thursday afternoons trip to town ended with numerous purchases to add to my already bulging wardrobe: three printed blouses and some All Saints shoes, thank you Tkmaxx.

Thursdays dinner was a Wetherspoons curry with the parents and six of their friends. Sure some people slate Wetherspoons (and I admit, some can be dodgy as hell, Tooting? No thank you) but can you really go wrong with good, cheap food and drink and nice surroundings? No, you cannot. So with the wine flowing we ended up staying relatively late (which is a worry when you have to pose for a photo that will be on the wall of the family home for the rest of your life the following morning).
Graduation day dawned bright and early as we needed to be in town for 9 so I spent a frantic hour and a half doing my make up, hair and getting dressed (managing to get deodorant all down the side of my dress in the process, obviously). Arrival at uni was no less manic as I rushed to pick up my gown (£10 extra for a Masters go
wn when essentially all that's different is that the hood is screwed up) along with the hundreds of other fashion graduates, almost all of them inappropriately dressed. What is it with girls and short skirts these days? Sure I appreciate a mini now and then but there’s mini and there’s mini. Choice of skirt length is especially worth considering when you’ll be descending a staircase in front of hundreds of people. You would think anyway.

It was a lovely day catching up with old friends followed by an evening in the pub with the fam (steak and chips for me – see what I mean about the eating out?).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...