Tuesday 15 October 2013

Paris Day 3: One day more

We awoke on our final morning in Paris ready to explore more of the city and, after checking out and storing our bags we went for a stroll towards the Pompidou Centre.

We stopped at a local bakery and picked a pastry up for breakfast before wandering down the winding streets towards the river.

We stumbled across this gorgeous market that sold anything and everything Parisian/food related and it took everything in me to stop myself from loading both myself and Michael's arms down with bits and pieces to take home.
Having managed to resist making any purchases we walked on through the city until we found the Pompidou.

As we were a bit short on time and wanted to see lots of other things we didn't actually venture inside, instead just checked out the sculptures outside and took a few photographs.

The Boy was in his element.That is, until he stepped in a large pile of dog poo. Ahhh, how romantic.
Next we got to do something that I'd been dying to do all weekend: we put a lock on one of the love lock bridges.

I've been aware of the love lock phenomenon for a while and really wanted to do it when we were in New York but Paris seemed like the perfect spot.
Strangely enough, it was really romantic, which seems weird to say considering how many other people were doing the same thing.

We put our lock on the Pont des Arts which is the bridge for your committed love, and then threw the key in the river, as is tradition. It was amazing and was one of my favourite moments of the whole weekend.
I'd bought us tickets to the Musee D'Orsay on the recommendation of a friend so we skipped the Louvre and checked out some other impressionism instead. 

The space was fantastic and The Boy absolutely loved it, even venturing off on his own for a while when the craziness of the weekend caught up with me and I needed to rest my feet for ten minutes.

Having worked up an appetite we went to a gorgeous little cafe for lunch. I went for salmon tartare and The Boy had duck, all washed down with a delicious bottle of white.



On the way back to the hotel we realised that we were actually staying really close to the Pere-Lachaise Cemetery so we decided to take a stroll in the afternoon sunshine before going to pick up our bags and making tracks to the train station.

It was a magical place and although it was pretty touristy near the entrance, when you got into the cemetery itself it was often almost as if it was just the two of us.
The weekend was amazing and really rounded off my birthday celebrations in style.

I was a wonderful introduction to a city that I know I will visit many times in the future - I'm already planning my next trip as there's so many other areas I would like to explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...