Tuesday 9 July 2013

Anniversary dinner at The Laughing Gravy

Last weekend marked three years since The Boy and I first caught sight of each other (on an idyllic food-filled holiday in France, no less) so what better way to celebrate this occasion than with one of our favourite past times: eating.

As usual, I had been charged with organising this event and immediately started mentally compiling a wish list of venues, mainly revolving around delicious meals I'd spied on Instagram and reviews I'd read on eat.street.edit and the like.

But as it turned out TripAdvisor saved the day with a little gem of a restaurant hidden away in Southwark, ladies and gentlemen I give you The Laughing Gravy.

Currently ranked number 55 out of all the restaurants in London (ahead of some serious big guns), The Laughing Gravy completely changed my plans for the evening, and I'm so glad it did.

But lets start from the beginning...


As the afternoon was nice and sunny we decided to get the tube as far as Embankment and then wander across Hungerford Bridge and through Southbank, an area which The Boy and I consider to be "our place" following many a meeting there before I moved to London.

Since my Mum and Dad gave The Boy a vintage cocktail making book at Christmas he has been really interested in the art of cocktail making, so we headed to sample some of London's finest at The Cut. We sat on the terrace, talked and watched the world go by whilst building up an appetite for dinner.



Tucked around the corner from Southwark tube station, The Laughing Gravy is a gorgeous little restaurant with a relaxed yet buzzing vibe and food to die for. As I've said I stumbled upon The Laughing Gravy purely by accident but as it turned out the food, atmosphere and service were all right up my street - my only complaint would be that we weren't sat at the table by the piano (but there's always next time).


The Boy went for a cocktail and I had a glass of Prosecco whilst we mulled over our choices. The menu is small with each dish being fresh and seasonal, cooked by head chef Micheal Facey, who has a talent for updating traditional British fare and has worked for the likes of Scotts and Chinawhites.

We went for...

 Chicken Liver and Foie Gras Mousse in Black Cherry Jelly
 The Monkfish Trio
 The Boy, clearly happy with his selection.
 West-country Organic Cider-marinated Lamb Rump
 The Aberdeen Angus Beef Burger
 ...and a side of Roast Cauliflower and Three Cheese Macaroni
All finished off with Blueberry Cheesecake and Lime Doughnuts for me, whilst The Boy enjoyed a glass of port.

We strolled to the tube full and happy, whilst enjoying an unexpected view of The Shard. It was a wonderful evening and a great way to celebrate three blissful years together.


If you would like to find out more about The Laughing Gravy you can do so on their website, which can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...